Tuesday, March 1, 2011

First Solo Outing

It's sad really.  The girls have basically never been out of the house.  Last summer, Robin and I took them to Washington Park once, to the mall once and to my multiples group's summer picnic.  They were outside in our front yard a few times for photo shoots.  Other than that, they have only been out of the house to go to the doctor and when we moved. 

I'm really starting to get cabin fever.  I cannot wait for flu season to be over, and, according to the CDC, it has not yet peaked in CO.  Great. 

It is so beautiful out today, I just couldn't resist taking the girls for our first walk together.  I got out the triple umbrella stroller, left them in the PJs, put them in jackets with hoods and off we went.  I wasn't really sure where I was going.  I thought it would be nice to check out of the park/playground.  We walked down to the creek, then over to the park, then took the long way back up a big hill on a nice bike path.  I'm not exactly sure how much the stroller weighs, but the girls weigh about 54lbs (quite a change from the 8lbs they weighed at birth).  I was pushing at least 70lbs up that hill.  It was a good workout for me.  I think I'll try to do it everyday - assuming it's nice.  Come summertime, we'll be going to the zoo, the botanic gardens, the park, etc.  I can't wait! 

I only heard a few comments along the way.  Several of the children at the playground commented on "three babies!"  I got a few "ahhhhs" and the like.  I got one "you've got your hands full - oh my god."  And, the absolute weirdest comment ever, "are they perfect?"  I just smiled and nodded because I couldn't believe she said that, and then I wasn't sure I heard her correctly.  What?  Are you perfect?  When I was almost home, I ran into a nanny with 2.5yo twins.  We talked for a minute.  It was great.  I can't wait to do it again.  I really wanted to get the girls out and put them in the swings, but there are only 4 baby swings (I'm so glad there are 4 - most playgrounds only have 2), 2 were being used and you can't really get the stroller all that close to the swing area.  Maybe Robin and I can go down there sometime soon.

Don't laugh at their clothes!

At the park:

 By Clear Creek:

 

South Table Mountain in the back ground, some of the Colorado School of Mines buildings off to the right and the Golden Community Garden right behind the girls.
North Table Mountain:

A nice lady who was jogging stopped to take my picture with the girls:
Mt. Zion - the "M" is covered in snow:

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting out of the house! I'm honored that one of your few outings was to see me at our park when your girls were just a few months old! :) I know what it's like to feel house-bound with my two toddlers, it's getting a little easier now that one is almost 4 and is less likely to run off. When she was 2 and my son was 1, it was near to impossible without a double stroller, a lot of planning and patience. Three (and triplets no less) has to be even more of a planning and logistics challenge. Good for you for doing it though- it will save your sanity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Getting out of the house is a must. Walks are such a nice break from the daily routine. As for being perfect? Of course they are! And start getting used to all the comments ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I forgot 2 outings. One with Meagan at the park and when we went to see Santa downtown. I think that's it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh, that's so great!! I'm happy y'all left the house. I know the cabin fever feeling except I get it if I stay home for half a day. Kore then that and we HAVE to get out. But the fresh air and sunshine is so good for the kids and helps them sleep better too! They look so cute in their bunny feet pajamas. And those views on your trail? Oh my gosh! I would KILL for that here. All we have is flat swampland in Florida. I'd be out walking every day :) I hope y'all are able to keep it up, it's good for the sanity of all four of you.

    Oh P.S. If the baby swing is the standard black rubber kind with four leg holes (so you can face baby either way) you can double up the kids in them. I usually put the girls together in one, back to back and cole gets his own. Then I can stand in one place between the two swings and swing them each with one arm. Makes for a lot less running around.

    ReplyDelete