Saturday, December 18, 2010

Movies

Warning: I'm standing high atop my soap box.

Going to the movies is supposed to be an enjoyable experience.  Obviously, seeing a movie on the big screen is so much better than watching it at home On Demand or from the Red Box.  Why oh why can I never have a pleasant experience? 

I have always enjoyed going to movies by myself.  Now that the girls are part of my life, I pretty much always have to go alone.  It gives me some "me" time to sit back, relax and live in fantasy land for a couple of hours.

There are some great reminders at the beginning of every movie - no talking - no cell phones - no texting.  There's even a great reminder that takes a scene from The Notebook (one of all time favorite movies) and adds random dialog - illustrating the annoyance of talking during a movie.

Do people think they are at home on their couch?  STOP TALKING!!!  OMG - I don't care where I sit or how empty the theater is - I'm always near the talkers.

Today I was lucky enough to have talkers on THREE sides (next to me, behind me to my right and behind me to my left).  The movie I saw two weeks ago, Love and Other Drugs, was very crowded.  A woman and her elderly parents came in late and had to split up.  I had the glorious pleasure of sitting next to the elderly man who smelled.  I had an 80 year old man next to me watching Anne Hathaway's boobs.  Lovely.  At one point his wife looked at him and said, "You're supposed to be asleep."  Ok - that was hilarious, and it made me laugh.  Luckily, he didn't talk.  Do not fear though - his rude middle aged daughter who was sitting right behind me took care of that!  She was literally on her cell phone for 2/3 of the movie.  Part of the time she was talking in her seat, then she moved near the emergency exit, which also happened to be close to my seat.  She paced back and forth talking, waiting for a return call and in-between peering around the corner to watch the movie.  UGH! 

On the off chance that anyone reading this is a movie talker - please stop.  Save the commentary for after the movie or better yet - wait for the DVD and enjoy it at home - you seem to think you're there anyway.

Ok - now on to the movie I saw today - How Do You Know with Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson and Paul Rudd.  I left confused.  How can a chick flick be confusing you might ask.  The answer: zero character development and horrible editing.  I seriously can't even remember the character's names.  I have never felt so disconnected from movie characters before.  More importantly though was the horrible character played by Reese.  What kind of a role model was she supposed to be?  Was I supposed to be able to relate to her at all?  She seemed like she was supposed to be a strong woman (meaning a goal oriented athlete who finds herself in a rotten situation), but then she stays in a relationship with and moves in with a guy she know is a player and is cheating on her.  What?!?!  It just didn't make sense.  Strange movie - I would definitely not recommend it.  If you've seen it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Did I miss something?

In case I wasn't clear before - DON'T TALK DURING A MOVIE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment