Friday, September 16, 2011

Where Have We Been for the Last Several Weeks?

It's been quite some time since I've posted.  My in-laws were staying with us for 2 weeks, and I just didn't have the time to post.  My in-laws live in Indonesia, so they don't get to see their grandchildren very often.  They were here last May for a couple of weeks when they girls were only a few months old.  This year, while they were here, we were able to do a lot more.  Unfortunately, my MIL was sick for half of the 2nd week, but we still packed in a lot.

Over Labor Day weekend, Izzie-B had a high fever.  A REALLY high fever - depending upon which thermometer I used.  I came really close to taking her to urgent care, but the rectal (I know - TMI) reading wasn't quite as high, so I opted for some Tylenol instead.  The one that scans across the forehead read 105, but the rectal read 103.8.  The fever lasted for about 2 days.  It finally broke on Labor Day.  I couldn't figure out what it was until Thursday morning.  She didn't show any other signs of illness except the fever.  When she woke up on Thursday, she had a strange rash all over her trunk and neck.  I played doctor on the web, and I diagnosed her with Roseola.  It's basically a form of chicken pox or shingles.  The signs are a high fever followed by a rash on the trunk a few days later.  I called the pediatrician's office, and they agreed that's what it was but they didn't need me to bring her in.  It's contagious to other children, but Katie and Maggie didn't seem to catch it.  Unless, of course, they had a very mild case first.  They never had high fevers that I was aware of, but one of the things that can be a sign of Roseola is a febrile seizure.  Maybe Maggie did have it, and that's what caused the seizure.  I just don't know.

Speaking of Maggie, her PT has decided to refer her to a rehab (or something like that - I can't remember exactly what she said) clinic at Children's Hospital.  She thinks it's a good idea to have someone else evaluate her.  Robin is convinced she's fine, but my motherly instinct says she's not.  I'm still convinced she may have mild cerebral palsy, but I'm just not sure.  Her walking is improving, but her base (the distance between her feet) is still wide and her core is very weak.  She keeps her arms bent and close to her side for stability while she walks.  Her balance is questionable at times, and sometimes she just completely breaks down - crying, can't sit still, etc.  Her speech therapist is a bit concerned too.  I can't wait to have someone else evaluate her.  I have no idea when this will happen though.  The PT is going to contact our pediatrician first.

Here are some pictures from the adventures with the in-laws.

8/29 - Trip to the park:






Katie was pushing the swing, but it kept hitting her in the head.



9/1 - Dinner at the Yard House:



9/2 - Meeting Erik Weihenmayer:


9/3 - Golden Super Cruise:


9/4 - Tubing in Clear Creek:







9/5 - A Taste of Colorado:



9/6 - Go-Karting:








9/7 - Coors Field Tour with my mom:






9/8 - Family Pictures:







Robin's mom made these traditional Indonesian outfits for the girls when she was here last May.  We had a VERY hard time getting them to pose since we had already done so many pictures.







My in-laws left on September 11th.  They went back to California to stay with Robin's sister and her family for several more weeks.  Robin's other sister lives in France, his brother lives in Indonesia and his uncle lives in China - we have family all over the world.

Here are our shots from Monday Night Football on the 12th.  Sadly, the Broncos lost:






Now we're caught up!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I know, I know—I haven't met you in person, so we can't be FB friends. :) But I shot that one wedding with Robin and am now a little bit addicted to your blog. Not in a creepy way; in an interested and holy-GOSH-your-family-is-darling kind of way.
    So ... just stopping by to say hi, I guess, and to let you know that I think you are one brave mama!

    ReplyDelete