Thursday, September 22, 2011

Accomplishments

I've been struggling with getting the girls off bottles.  At first, I wasn't really concerned about it.  Bottles are easy, and I just let it go.  Plus, the OT/PT told me not to worry about it until they were 18 months old.  That came and went.  I never gave them a bottle in their crib, which is what is supposed to be the worst for their teeth.

Then it really started bothering me.  They are 19 months old, and I just needed to cut out the bottles.  I had tried several times.  They all refused to take milk from anything other than a bottle.  We had no issues with other liquids in a sippy cup - just milk.  Last Friday night, I'd had it.  I decided enough was enough - cold turkey was the way to go.  It went better than I expected.  Saturday morning was another story though.  My kids are different from others in that they are more addicted to their morning bottle than their night one.  Luckily it was a weekend, and Robin was there to help.  There was a lot of crying and not a lot of milk drinking.  But I didn't give  in.

I'm now proud to report that we have been completely bottle free since last Friday night.  What's really different though?  In my opinion, not much.  I'm using the Nuby Sport Sipper.  It works like a straw, but it's not a straw.  The only difference seems to be the flow.  I'm really not sure what the big deal is.

Next up - getting them to drink cold milk.  This one is going to be more difficult.  Maybe cold turkey is the way to go.

Last week, I took the girls to the "baby" story time at the library.  My mom went with me.  It was nice to have an extra set of hands.  I wasn't sure what to expect, and I was most concerned with trying to get the girls back in their stroller.  Dealing with screaming toddlers in the library is not on my list of fun things to do.  Plus, it's not like I can just scoop them up and hurry out the door.  I'd need 4 arms to accomplish that one.  Anyway - story time with my mom went well.  So, I decided to try it alone yesterday.  It went so well.  The girls were all really well behaved.  ::knock on wood::  They wouldn't sit in my lap, but they didn't bother anyone else.  Getting them back in the stroller went nearly flawlessly.  Maggie and Izzie-B were a breeze, but Katie gave me a little attitude.  I gave her a stern look in the eye, and all was well.

No comments:

Post a Comment