Sunday, April 10, 2011

Katie's First Steps

Katie took her first steps this morning!!!  I'm so glad Robin and I were both there to witness it.


She got her first cold yesterday and took her first steps today.  That's a lot of activity for a little one!  She is 13 months, 3 weeks and 5 days old; her adjusted age is 11 months, 2 weeks.  This time last year, she was still in the NICU.  Of course, you can hear Maggie crying in the background.

I may have said this before, but it's so interesting to me how everyone says that the first year of having triplets is the hardest. Let me tell you - I thought the first year was a breeze. I find that it gets harder and harder as each day passes.  As they become more mobile and vocal, it gets harder.  It's been so windy here recently that I haven't really been able to take the girls out much. They are bored, and the crying is almost too much to deal with.

As you can see, my house is still a mess from moving in.  We moved 2.5 months ago, but we're still working on getting the basement cleaned out.  There's a large concrete block full of rocks down there that we are FINALLY having removed tomorrow.  It was part of a solar heating system that was revolutionary when the house was built.  There are 8 identical units (4 duplexes), and there are only two units that still have the big concerete block left in the basement.  I think all of the units removed the solar panels from the roof sometime in the 80s.  It would be nice to have solar heat, but the system they had was awful.  I think the concrete block with the rocks was simulating some sort of geothermal system that stored heat when it wasn't sunny.  Anyway, once it's gone, we will have more storage space in the unfinished portion of the basement (for things like the moving box and the vacuum), and we can make another playroom in the finished part of the basement where our office space is.  Tomorrow may be interesting with the concrete saw going all day.  It will be loud, but the finished product will be so worth it.

1 comment:

  1. wow! First steps! Awesome! I know milestones are always in the back of most mommies minds, but with preemies, it's even more so, I bet, no matter how hard you try to just let them grow up at their own pace... at least it was with me. :) That is spectacular she is walking! I bet her sisters are soon behind, taking chase!!! I know I compare my two kids a lot with yours, which is sort of apples and oranges, but yeah a lot of people said
    "I bet the first year was hard" with my kids that are close together... and just like you, nope, now it's harder. They fight, walk in different directions at the zoo, don't want anything to do with the stroller, fight, and oh, did I mention they fight??? :D
    Hugs to you mama for making it through the first year and I hope the next few months is easy on you and/or you get a lot of well deserved breaks/massages/drinks!

    ReplyDelete