Saturday, April 9, 2011

Allergies and the First Cold

Several weeks ago, I gave the girls peanut butter for the first time.  Soon after (not immediately), Katie, who also has some skin issues - dry skin, atopic dermatitis - got a red rash around her neck.  I put some steroid cream on it, and it went away.  I was nervous that she may have a peanut allergy.  Katie scratches herself around her shoulders, neck and thighs until she bleeds.  I spoke to several of my HOM moms who have kids with allergies, and they all said that her symptoms sounded like it was possible.  I made an appointment with National Jewish.  Yesterday was said appointment.  Grandma watched Maggie and Izzy-B while I took Katie to the allergist. 

I'm so pleased to announce that she does not have any allergies to food or cats or dogs!!  What a relief.  She just needs lots of moisturizer for her dry skin.

The appointment was close to my old office, so I stopped by to see everyone.  Almost no one was there!  I guess that's what happens when you surprise people.  I chatted with some of my former co-workers for awhile.  Then I went across the street to Robin's office.  We used to have lunch together often since we worked right across the street from one another.  By this time it was about 11:30am, so we went out to lunch with Robin and his co-workers at the Elephant Bar.  Katie enjoyed some of Robin's sweet and sour chicken and some of my chicken marsala with spinach and mashed potatoes.  After lunch, Katie and I made a quick stop at Costco.  I was supposed to have a refund waiting for me from my furnace installation, but there was a problem.  We didn't do any shopping.  I couldn't bring myself to put her in a cart yet.  We didn't make it home until about 2:30pm. 

It was such a joy to take Katie around town yesterday.  It was SOOO easy to only have one child to take care of. 

Poor Katie.  Today she has a fever and a runny nose.  She must have caught a cold while we were out yesterday?!?!  No one held her, and the only thing she touched was the high chair and the table at the restaurant, and I thoroughly disinfected those before she touched them.  As far as I know, no one we were with was sick either.  I guess that's what happens when you keep your kids isolated for so long.  Their first trip to the real world causes them to get sick (ok - we have been to Chipotle twice and they didn't get sick then).  I assume Katie will pass it along to the other two.  Izzy-B has a bit of a runny nose too, but she doesn't have a fever (yet).  Katie is still happy and playing normally, so no medicine for her.  Let the fever do its work!

No comments:

Post a Comment