Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Do I Have a Biter? And Other Updates.

I think Maggie has a bite mark on her arm:


The funny thing is, I would think she would be the biter.  Of Izzy-B and Katie, I think it might be Izzy-B.  I can't really tell how many teeth are involved.  Maybe someone can help me.  Izzy-B has 2 on top and 2 on bottom while Katie has 4 on top and 2 on the bottom.  Looks more like 2 and 2 to me - what do you think?  Now, I just have to catch her in the act.  I'm going to assume Maggie didn't bite herself, but anything's possible.  With the way Maggie has been acting lately though, I really can't blame Izzy-B for biting her.  Izzy-B will be standing somewhere and Maggie comes over and pushes her way into the situation and causes Izzy-B to fall or pushes her back so she can't see what's going on. 

These days Maggie is a serious handful.  By lunch time, I'm ready to throw in the towel.  She is going through a - hopefully short lived - phase where all she wants is to be in my lap.  This sounds like such a joy.  Who doesn't want a loving little one to cuddle in your lap?  HA!  If only she were a cuddler.  She cannot sit still; she arches her back and bangs her head on my chest; she kicks me.  I have permanent bruises on my ankles (I'm normally sitting on the floor with her).  It is a down right awful and painful situation.  When I've finally had enough and I leave, she cries and cries and cries and cries.  It's not easy to deal with.  I don't understand why she doesn't like to be cuddled.  It's impossible to hold her in a "rocking baby in your arms" way.  It's even difficult to hold her facing you.  She always tries to turn away.  Soooooo frustrating.  Even when Robin is around, she doesn't want to be with him.  Only me.  There will come a day when I will look back on this and wish I could have these moments of her only wanting to be with me back - maybe in 11 years or so when she wants nothing to do with her mom.

Izzy-B throws temper tantrums.  She hates to be told no, but hey - who does?  She cries and gets really upset when I tell her no.  She folds herself in half and pushes her face in the carpet and cries.  I think the best way to describe her is sensitive.  Her new favorite thing to do is to throw all of her blankets, lovey and pacifier out of her crib.  This normally only happens during naptime (and then sometimes she cries because she doesn't have her pacifier anymore).  Sometimes she can reach one of the blankes and she tries to pull it back into her crib and she sucks on the blanket stuck in between the crib rails while still crying for her pacifer.  When we put her down at night, she doesn't throw everything out.  I do find all of her stuff on the floor by morning though. 

Right now, Katie is my model baby.  She is so independent and can play alone without crying for awhile.  She likes to cuddle and sit on my lap. 

The girls have all FINALLY learned how to wave.  I love how they wave at themselves.  Katie and Izzy-B are the best at it.  Maggie has only done it a couple of times.  Both Katie and Izzy-B can wave and clap on command.  It's so cute.  Sometimes when I say "good job," Katie will start clapping.  When I went to get the girls up from their nap today, I opened the door and Izzy-B was sitting in her *empty* crib clapping away. 

Katie and Izzy-B are doing really well with the push toys.  This afternoon, we took them outside and let them push the toys up the sidewalk.  It was the first time they walked in shoes.  Izzy-B really liked it and went a long way.  Katie did well too.  Maggie is having a lot of balance issues.  I had to hold her hands on the toy and walk with her (I was pushing the toy so she had to walk).  She can't really keep her feet straight.  I really worry about her.  She is frequently standing on her toes (like she's a point ballerina - on the tips of her toes).  She will put weight back on her heels though.  The OT doesn't really know what to think except that Maggie just needs more practice cruising.  If I had to guess, I think Katie will be the first to walk.  She likes to stand independently a lot, and she *almost* took a step today.

Their language skills seem delayed to me.  They don't really say anything.  They finally say mama and mom, but I'm not sure if it's directed toward me or not.  Mama, mom and dada are all they say right now, and I'm not convinced that any of those words mean something to them.  Katie frequently says "da."

That's about it for now.  I'm excited Spring is finally here.  Just in time.  The girls are seriously getting bored with being in the house all day.  And I'm starting to lose my mind.

1 comment:

  1. I know it's hard not to, especially with your first child(ren) but try not to worry about those things like language and walking. You will be sitting there in a couple years with your "can't stop running around and won't stop talking" preschooler and think "what in the world was I worried about when they were so little?!". Worrying about it right now puts unecessary stress on you and them, it will all happen when it happens. Walking on their toes is normal, all kids do it to some degree. If she is still doing it at three, then worry about it. Most kids don't say anything that really means anything until about 15 months and it's normal for them not to say any meaningful words at all up until 18 months. And if your babies are preemies don't forget to account for adjusted age. My big kids didnt talk until about 18 months but their language is way above average now at 4 and 5 years old. It will all just come together. Oh yeah and that's definitely a bite mark and not a self inflicted one. Kids don't bite themselves hard enough to leave a mark like that! Good luck with the biting, there is no easy way to deal with that one!

    ReplyDelete