Monday, August 23, 2010

Running Water

Running water: a necessity and a luxury.  Until you have none, you don't realize how important it is.  At 7:30 this morning, I was awakened by the doorbell.  A warm thank you goes out to the City of Englewood Utilities Department for giving me a heads-up that we will be without water from at 9am to 3pm today.  This gave me to chance to gather jugs of water for the day ahead.  The water main break is in front of my house.

Things you need water for: toilet, showering, bathing babies, tooth brushing, HAND WASHING, drinking, making formula, warming formula, laundry, dishes including washing bottles, cooking and running the swamp cooler.  I can't even imagine living without running water.  Just the mere thought of being without it for 6 hours is difficult - don't forget I have three infants at home!  If the electricity were to go out as well, I don't know what I would do.  How would I warm the bottles?  Luckily we happen to have a gas stove in the kitchen in our basement, which can be handy when the electricity is out. 

Now it's time to get on my soap box about hand washing.  So many people use hand sanitizer as a substitute for hand washing.  This is NOT ok!  While it is ok to use hand sanitizer, it is not a substitute for hand washing.  And when I say hand washing, I mean with SOAP and water for at least 20 seconds.  The fact that I cannot wash my hands today is making me crazy.

I feel so lucky to have been born in a place where such "modern conveniences" as running water and electricity are readily available. 

As a side note - Isabella finally grabbed her foot yesterday! 

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! whenever I am getting overwhelmed with the kiddies, I ask myself, "how the heck did the Pioneer women manage????" Can you imagine washing the clothes by hand, ironing them with an iron heated on the wood-fired stove, etc etc. I wouldn't even know what to do with a poopy blowout. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water heater does not use electricity, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Water is always important for any living creatures, but here in some remote places of Indonesia it is difficult to find clean water despite of the term "tanah air" (land and water). We have abundant of sea water but not always potable water...

    ReplyDelete