Sunday, January 2, 2011

A *New* Abode

Well - there it is.  Our big news.  We're moving.  Better yet - we're downsizing.  Oh boy!

We're moving back to the house we lived in right after we got married.  It has been occupied by renters since we moved out in 2006.  When I quit my job as a lawyer, our income decreased significantly.  It's a decision neither of us regret, but we are now in a situation where we just can't afford our house anymore.  The good thing is - we would have moved in another year or two anyway.  Our house has lots of 1950's character - complete with only one bathroom on the main floor (it's a ranch with a walk-out basement).  Hmmmm - me and three girls sharing a bathroom (with a vessel sink) - I think not!!

Our current home is about 2500 square feet with 4 bedrooms and 1.75 bathrooms including the finished basement.  The *new* house is about 1425 square feet with 2 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms including the finished portion of the basement.  YIKES!  We are also going from a 4 car garage to a 1 car garage.  At least we have more bathrooms!  For me, the worst part of the move is that we're moving to a duplex.  The thought of sharing walls when you have three infants/toddlers is not exactly exciting.  I apologize in advance to the neighbors for the girls' crying, but there isn't anything I can do about it! 

Our house will soon be on the market.  Please send us positive - sell the house quickly and for more than what we owe - vibes.  Yes, as I always do best, we bought at the height of the market in 2006. 

The best part of moving - I LOVE GOLDEN.  Golden is such a great city (it's really not as cheesy as the Howdy Folks! sign in the picture below).  Robin and I met there while in college. I'll be able to do so much more with the girls in Golden this summer.  We can walk to the park, to the rec center, to Clear Creek, to
*main* street, to Mines, to Coors (if you're ever there - just ask for the short tour, which takes you straight to the tasting room) - the list goes on and on.  There's even a Montessori school on the same block as our house.  I know we'll outgrow the Golden house in a few years - I mean we've probably already outgrown it and we haven't even moved in yet - but I think we'll try to buy a house in Golden when we're ready to move again.  The worst part of living in Golden is Robin's commute to work.  That commute is the whole reason we moved to our current house (I was the one making the crazy commute at the time).  The good news - they're extending the light rail to Golden.  The bad news - it won't open until May 2013.


This move is the reason I didn't decorate for Christmas.  I just couldn't bear getting everything out and then putting it away and moving it.  The reason I didn't say anything about the move until 2011 is because the house had renters who had a lease through the end of May 2011.  They wanted to move out early, so we made a deal with them.  Then, 2 weeks ago they changed their minds.  I let them know they couldn't do that, and they never responded.  We had no idea what we were going to find when we went to the walk-through yesterday.  Luckily, they were gone and the house had been professionally cleaned.  They didn't even show up for the walk-through. 

Over the next 2-3 weeks we'll be getting the carpets cleaned and doing some other work to the house before we move in.  There are two-three big immediate projects that I want to complete (not necessarily before we move - but SOON).  We'll be slowly taking our stuff there, but we'll hire movers for the big stuff.  I'm so excited for IKEA to open in the fall so we can remodel the hideous kitchen (project #4).  The renters removed the upper hanging cabinets, which really opens up the space.  In case it's not obvious - the house was built in the 70's.  Actually, I think it was built the same year I was born.  The yellow counter tops and the fake wood paneling on the back of the cabinets were all the rage.  Don't be jealous!



There are so many things going round and round in my crazy brain these days.  This move is very stressful for me.  The thought of taking apart and re-assembling three cribs is just too much.  The thought of trying to fit all our stuff in the new house is overwhelming. 

Does anyone have one of those Easy Buttons from the Staples commercials that I can borrow?  I just need it to zap all of our *stuff* to Golden.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's so exciting! I'm so jealous, really. Sounds like a great town and I miss living in a great town. We just moved the nursery from downstairs to upstairs last week and the taking apart and putting back together all the cribs thing was what I was dreading the most- I feel ya there! But it wasn't so bad. Now that I've done it a couple of times it actually went much more smoothly then I anticipated. The worst part was trying to get all the sheets back on while three babies were melting down on the floor and exhausted with nowhere for them to go to bed. But I'm sure you'll have back up beds until you move!

    Best of luck with everything! We'll be praying that the move goes smoothly and you all make the transition into your new (old) home quickly and easily! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That IS big news. I love Golden too. Seth used to live in the Lunnenhaus(?) village apts ! Best of luck with everything. It will be most stressful on you and Robin. The girls will be fine as long as they see you two and their stuff! Wish I was there to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes - the lonely apartments on the west side of 6th along the creek. I was in one of those once for some reason (I can't remember - a friend of a friend or something). They were pretty cool, but living so close to the creek would freak me out. What if it floods?

    ReplyDelete