Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Move

We did it.  We moved.  This is one of the most difficult moves I've ever had to endure, and I've moved a lot.  Growing up, we moved a lot.  I actually liked it for the most part because I loved having a new space to live in.  I tend to get sick of a house after couple of years. 

I can only remember one time in my life when my family hired movers.  We usually did it all ourselves.  Robin and I last moved from Golden to Englewood.  We hired movers, and it was such a great experience.  I couldn't believe how fast they were.  It only took 3.5 hours from start to finish.  This time, we decided to use the same moving company.  They did a great job, but I sure did underestimate the amount of stuff we accumulated over the last 4.5 years.  I know we gained three additional family members, but I honestly didn't think there was that much more stuff - particularly because we left a lot of furniture behind to stage the house for showings.  Therefore, I assumed that for everything we gained, we were leaving something behind.  Well - that certainly wasn't the case. 

The movers were scheduled to be at our house at 8am - they were very prompt.  I had already scheduled the cable guy to be at the new house between 1-3pm.  I thought that would be plenty of time.  I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.  Well, by 11:30am, the movers were finally finishing up LOADING everything in Englewood.  AND - they couldn't even fit everything in the truck.  Seriously - we had to leave a lot of stuff in our garage behind.  They were finally finished unloading everything in Golden at 2pm.  That's 6 hours total.  This move cost me twice what the last one did, and I still have to go back and get more stuff.  Luckily, the cable guy arrived about 15 minutes after the movers left.  It all worked out perfectly (hey - that's not where you thought this was going). 

The movers were very nice, and they did a great job.  I know by 2pm, they must have been quite hungry (I know I was).  They said more than once that we had a lot of stuff.  He did compliment my packing skills (or wait - was he trying to get a bigger tip?!?). 

We now have to focus our attention on the old house.  We need to CLEAN it (yikes), get it staged and get the rest of our crap out of the garage. 

We focused our attention on getting the girls' room set up.  It's a lot smaller than their old room.  We were able to get three cribs, the dresser and the changing table in there with some creative furniture positioning.  We also had a chair and a bookcase in their last room, but there is no way wer are getting anything else in the new room.  Unfortunately, the closet is also smaller and it doesn't have doors right now.  We had new carpet installed in 2004 - the pad is thicker and the pile is higher, so the closet doors wouldn't open and close.  The renters we had in here before removed the doors.  We need to have them planed (I think that's what it's called).

I mentioned before that the Golden house is a duplex (kind of more like a townhouse, but we're on the end).  It's a really weird set up.  It's actually a group of four duplexes connected by garages and all of the front doors open to a common pathway (two duplexes on each side).  I feel like I need a diagram.  We, by far, have the best lot because we're on the corner.  We have the most land, the most parking and the best views of the mountains.  It's so nice to be back in Golden.

I'm completely exhausted.  I packed up the entire house, and I have done a lot of the work moving stuff around and going back and forth taking car loads of the girls' stuff.  My muscles are so sore, my back hurts and I just ache all over.  Sorry for complaining.  I could never be a mover.  I don't understand how someone can move other people's stuff all day, every day.  Even though it was expensive to hire them, I think it was worth every penny!!

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment