Sunday, January 9, 2011

About me

Happy Birthday to me!  Yes, today is my birthday.  The big 3-3.  Yikes.  Where does the time go?  I feel like high school and college weren't all that long ago, but my 15 year high school reunion is this year.   

It's a lovely snowy day outside.  It's the second real (sticking to the ground) snowfall of the season.  I don't like winter, so I'm perfectly happy with the small amount of snow so far this year.

Anyway - in honor of my birthday, I thought I'd post 33 random things about me.  I did this once on Facebook (25 random things about me).  So, most of these are repeats for those of you that saw that post (some have been updated), but some I had to delete to protect the innocent - and at least 8 are new!

1. I had two imaginary friends as a child – BaBa and Mitchell. Because they didn't come with me when we moved, I’m convinced they were ghosts.

2. Spring is my favorite season. I love to see the plants and trees come alive.  Green is my favorite color after all!

3. I once quit my job (Target) by leaving in the middle of my shift. My “supervisor” pissed me off, so I left and never went back. I avoided their phone calls for a few weeks before making up a story about why I left and didn’t call.

4. My husband and I have owned the following cars since we’ve been married (2004-present):
     a. 1994 4Runner (grey)
     b. 2000 Kia Sephia
     c. 2004 WRX (I miss that car!)
     d. 2005 BMW 325xi
     e. 2005 Scion tC
     f. 2002 Audi A6 Avant (Robin's winter ride)
     g. 1994 4Runner (red)
     h. 1985 Supra (black)
     i. 1985 Supra (silver) (Robin’s summer ride)
     j. 2008 Outback 2.5xt
     k. 2005 Lincoln Navigator (my current ride)

5. I’ve never gotten a speeding ticket, but I always speed.

6. My wedding was featured in the Denver Post.

7. I’m at least a fifth generation Colorado native.

8. My girls and I were born at the same hospital - making them sixth generation Colorado natives.

8. I used to play on an 8-ball and a 9-ball pool league.

9. I would move to Vegas and become a professional poker player, if I weren’t too scared of failing.

10. I have traveled to three continents (North America, South America and Asia) and ten countries (Canada, British Virgin Islands, Costa Rica, Guatemala (ok - I didn't even get off the plane there, but I was physically in that country), South Korea (in the airport for about 15 hours - twice!), Indonesia, Haiti, Colombia, Panama and Grand Cayman).  I hope to be able to travel more!

11. I met my husband at a fraternity party in 1998. We dated for 6 years before getting married.

12. I wrote my undergraduate thesis on the impacts of the Three Gorges Dam.

13. I’m mostly Irish and Cherokee Indian.  I think there is some German in me too.

14. My maternal grandfather died in WWII. His plane was shot down over Germany when my grandmother was 6 months pregnant with my mom.

15. I bought our Audi on eBay site unseen! There were, of course, pictures, but I didn't test drive it or anything. Luckily, it all worked out. I've also sold a car on eBay.


16. My mom and I are only children. We are also both left-handed.

17. I wish I had sisters and brothers. The joys of being an only child ended at age 23.

18. I was thrown out of a nightclub for being too drunk.

19. Before becoming a stay-at-home mom, I used to go to Starbucks every weekday for a vanilla soy latte.  Now, I have a cup of Starbucks Via with coffemate creamer every day.  Most definitely not the same!

20. I owned three horses, and I miss them!  I was in a high-speed precision drill team called the Westernaires. I was a trick rider.  I'm about 14 or 15 in this picture - look at how all four of my horse's feet are off the ground.



21. I won a spelling bee held at a local mall when I was in elementary school. 1st prize was a set of encyclopedias.

22. I think a lot of people mistake my sarcasm for meanness.  Trust me, if I'm being mean you'll know it!

23. I have more memories from the age of 3 than I do from ages 4-11 combined. A lot happened during that year!

24. I think only people who grew up in Denver will appreciate this one - Blinky the Clown lived across the alley from me when I was in high school. I was on his TV show when I was 3.

25. I’ve been hospitalized twice. The first time was when I got a concussion after being thrown off my mom’s horse when I was 3, and the second time was when I was on bed rest and had the girls last year.

26. I was a lawyer before I became a stay-at-home mom.  I'm still paying off my student loans.  Ugh!
 
27.  I've been to the World Series (2007 - Rockies v. Red Sox game 4).  I hate baseball.  It's my least favorite sport.  I was so bored during the game, but I went because I didn't think I'd ever have the chance to go to a "world championship" game again.  I'd love to go to the Super Bowl because I love football.  I'm the commissioner of my fantasy football league. 
 
 
 
28.  My husband became a United States citizen in September of 2008.
 
29.  My sister-in-law has spontaneous fraternal twin boys who are 10 years old.  And, no, this does not constitute "running in the family" because it only counts on the mother's side.
 
30. During law school, I worked as a valet.  It was such a fun job!  I got my only ticket ever while working that job.  I backed a LARGE van (like an airport shuttle van) into another car on the street.  Everyone who witnessed it said it wasn't my fault, but I got the ticket because I was the one backing up.  At least I was covered by the company's insurance and the van was a rental, so the customer didn't even care (the lady I hit on the other hand....UGH!).

31. My ears are pierced 5 times (3 in the left and 2 in the right).  I do not have any other piercings or tattoos.  I've always wanted a tattoo, but thanks for a good friend from college (I think you know who you are!), I realized that I didn't have anything significant enough in my life to justify getting a tattoo.  Maybe someday....
 
32. I love, love, love trivia.  I play bar trivia every Wednesday night with a group of friends.  I also watch Jeopardy! (and other trivia shows) every day. 
 
33. There are only 10 people in the entire world that have my last name, and five of them live in my house! 
   
Well - now you know A LOT more about me!  Cheers to being 33!

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! I find it fascinating that you are a fifth generation Colorado native ~ neat! I also met my husband at a fraternity party. And I used to do the daily Starbucks thing, too. *sigh* I have an espresso machine but it never tastes the same! ;) Thanks for sharing!! And Happy Birthday, belated! :)

    ReplyDelete