Wednesday, September 22, 2010

September 22, 2009

September 22, 2009 is like my D-Day; it is my "day which will live in infamy."  I shall call it T-Day.  It is the day my life changed forever.  That's right - it's the day I had my first ultrasound and found out I was pregnant with triplets.  Today is the first anniversary of the day that changed my life forever. 

I was scheduled to have an ultrasound at 9 weeks, which apparently is rare.  The doctor decided to code it as "viability" because I had some minor spotting that was concerning.  For the first ultrasound, they like to have the father present to go over genetic history.  At first, Robin didn't want to come - he didn't think it was necessary, but I convinced him to come.  I'm so thankful he was there.

I'm on the table looking up at the ultrasound on the monitor.  I have no idea what I'm looking at or looking for.  The ultrasound tech is very quiet, but I don't get the vibe that anything is unusual.  I think she's just checking everything out.  I'm not sure what can even be seen at such a early stage in the pregnancy.  The first words out of her mouth are, "were you taking fertility drugs."  I'm completely taken aback.  I have no idea why she would ask such a question.  The obvious answer doesn't even occur to me.  I so "no" in a tone that probably expressed some offense.  Now, you have to remember, she hasn't said a word yet - maybe some small talk like "is this your first pregnancy", etc., but nothing about the baby.  Immediately after I said "no," she said, "well, you're pregnant with triplets."  Boom, pow, punch to the stomach.  What?!?!  Within seconds, the image of a huge stroller pops into my head, and I burst out crying.  My husband started laughing.  And, just like that the ultrasound was over. 

I can't even really remember too much after that.  I'm not sure if she had someone else come in to confirm or not.  I do remember being taken to another room where a doctor came in (I'd never met this doctor before) to "answer any questions I might have."  She also informed me that they cannot see me because they do not handle higher-order multiple pregnancies.  I was directed to see Dr. Kent Heyborne at Swedish.  As we left, I felt like all of the staff was staring at me.  I was still crying.  I'm sure the people in the waiting room thought that I had lost a baby or something. 


I'm so glad that Robin was with me that day.  I thought I was having a bad dream or an out of body experience.  I'm not sure that I would have believed that it really happened had I been there alone.

I had planned to not tell ANYONE about the pregnancy until we hit the 12 week mark, which is when the chance of miscarriage dramatically drops.  This news, though, I could not keep to myself.  In the car ride home, I kept trying to call my mom, but she wasn't answering.  So, I called my dad.  Then I tried my mom again, but she still wasn't answering.  So, I called my good friend, Erica.  I've known her since we were in junior high.  She knows me well, and she started laughing.  Of all the people she knows, I was the last one that would/should have triplets.  Karma got me that day.  I was very sad.  But, don't get me wrong, I'm so happy today.  I don't know what I would do without my girls.  They light up my life, and now, instead of making me cry, they make me smile all the time - especially when they smile.  It melts my heart. 

1 comment:

  1. This post is really touching...it describes how we mother felt when receiving the big news.
    I remembered my own pregnancy when I was called to come to the doctor as my Down Syndrome test had a high output. It was almost twenty weeks of pregnancy (as I was not as careful as in my first pregnancy). The doctor examined carefully (with his old machine...that was the reason we didn't find it out earlier), and then asked me if I had twins in the family. "No...but my cousin has recently got twins. Yet, I don't think it's genetic." The doctor answered,"yes, you've got twins." Thankful (for not having a DS baby) yet scared about raising two babies at the same time.

    I can imagine how do you feel with triplets...
    Fortunately babies have their magic spell flowing out with their smiles...

    Staci and Robin, have blessed days with your three pretty girls...

    ReplyDelete