Monday, November 14, 2011

Another Seizure?

I think Maggie just had another seizure.  Her PT was here, so thankfully I'm not the only one to see it this time.  The PT thinks Maggie has a vestibular (inner ear) issue - although after today, she's not so sure.  I should back-up.  Over the last 2-3 weeks, Maggie has had some weird eye movements.  Frequently, her eyes will go off to the left.  Other times they will slightly shake.  And, more frequently, she'll get very intense, mean looks on her face - mainly in her eyes.

This morning, the PT was twirling Maggie around in circles.  Then, we talked about how Maggie had torticollis as a baby.  I've recently learned that this condition can be related to a vestibular issue.  My mom has noticed that Maggie frequently has her left shoulder raised, which can be a residual issue of torticollis.  The PT was stretching Maggie's neck (both sides).  She put her down.  I picked her up, and then she started arching her back, which she hasn't done since she was an infant.  I put her down on the floor and she continued to arch her back.  I commented to the PT about how weird that was and how she hasn't done that in at least 8 months (probably longer).  Then she walked a few steps and fell (her falls have been more frequent over the last week).  She was on the ground on her stomach (just like last time), but this time she kept her palms face up - like she was trying to crawl on the back of her hands, but she wasn't moving anywhere. Her body was contorting in weird ways.  I couldn't see her eyes, but the PT got down and was trying to look at her eyes.  They didn't seem to be doing anything strange like last time.  I started crying.  I'm so glad Maggie has a neuro appointment later this month.  The PT is going to call the neurology department and tell them what she saw.  I tend to think people think I'm crazy and over-analyzing what is going on with Maggie.  This time, though, someone else saw it.  I'm not crazy.

Just to be sure her strange eye movements weren't related to her eyesight, I took her to the eye doctor last week.  Everything looked fine.  He said she's slightly far-sighted, which is not unusual.  Normally, a child her age is +3; she's +3.5.  He said it's not enough to be worried about or to prescribe glasses at this point.  I had a long talk with the eye doctor about what's been going on with Maggie.  In my professional opinion, it's either mini-seizures or a vestibular issue.  His professional opinion is that it's mini-seizures.  I didn't like his answer at the time, but after what has transpired today, I think he might be right.

Her last seizure was officially attributed to fever - febrile seizure.  I have never accepted that diagnosis.  I don't think she had a fever that day.  The neurologist who was there that day said she felt hot.  She didn't feel hot to me.  By the time I got home, almost 2 hours later, her temperature was only 99.

Sometimes a mom just knows that something is wrong.  I know that she didn't have a febrile seizure.  I know there is something going on with her brain.  I hope we can get to the bottom of it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment