Saturday, November 6, 2010

RSV, Synagis and Maggie's first "words"

The March of Dimes has designated November Prematurity Awareness Month.  As you know, our girls were born prematurely.  During my pregnancy, I was healthy, the girls seemed healthy and I did not have any signs of premature labor.  Then - boom - out of nowhere, my water broke at 28 weeks 1 day.  I was admitted to the hospital where I was closely monitored for infection, signs of distress, preeclampsia, or other signs of premature labor.  I was given steroids to help the girls' lungs develop, but nothing is as good as staying in the womb.  The girls were born at 29 weeks 6 days after Maggie's placenta started to abrupt (it was her sac that broke as well).  Premature babies are at risk for many complications.  So far, it appears our girls are healthy.  *Knock on wood.*

RSV is one of the most significant threats to a premature baby.  Most infants and toddlers get RSV, but RSV can simply be too much for the lungs of a premature baby.  Seemingly healthy babies can suddenly become extremely ill and die from RSV.  While some of you already know that I have issues with vaccinations (we're following the Dr. Sears alternate vaccination schedule), I take RSV very seriously.  There is a drug called synagis that can protect a baby from RSV for 28-32 days.  It is extremely expensive (anywhere from $1,500 - $3,000 per shot; the dosage is based upon weight).  Needless to say, if insurance will not cover the cost of the shot, then it is cost prohibitive.  Synagis is given once a month for 5 months starting in November.  The girls each got one dose of it before they left the NICU last April.  The American Academy of Pediatrics provides guidelines for who should get synagis.  We were lucky that Maggie was eligible to receive it this year, and the insurance company agreed to cover all three girls because they are in the same house.  This morning, they received their first synagis shot of this RSV season.  I am so grateful that our insurance company is covering the shots.  The total cost of the shots will be between $22,500 - $45,000.  Here is a link to one of our friend's blogs.  Their boys, who are almost exactly one year older then our girls, were not eligible last year, and they contracted RSV.  Luckily, it was only a mild case.  Other families are not so lucky.


Some of you will be upset that I am being so protective of my girls during this RSV season, but I cannot and will not risk them contracting RSV.  This first winter poses the biggest risk.  Come Spring, we will all be out on the town exploring the world.  Until then, I appreciate your understanding my need to keep the girls isolated from RSV and the flu. I hope the links I have provided give some perspective. 

On a lighter note - Margaret has said her first "word."  She is babbling away today saying "da da."  It warmed Robin's heart!  The girls are also (and I know I've said this before) about to crawl.  Both Katie and Izzy can take one or two crawls forward before flopping on their stomachs.  Maggie has mastered "army" crawling.  She can drag herself just about anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, mama for protecting your babies! Everyone who truly loves your girls will understand the seclusion during RSV season. I remember feeling so vulnerable being outside with my preemie and lonely staying inside, but I knew it was best. Best wishes for a healthy fall/winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be afraid to stand your ground on your "rules" during RSV season. Some people will give you gruff for it but there is nothing more important than a healthy baby! Even though I'm super careful about germs and contamination, all three of our girls got RSV last Winter, and the twins had gotten it as babies as well. It's NASTY, difficult as a parent to watch your child endure, and it just plain stinks!

    We won't get the shots this year ~ but I'm praying RSV will pass us over this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best for KMI !
    "da da and success dad" is the word for Robin when he is leaving for work.

    ReplyDelete