Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Schedule, Schedule, Schedule

When you have triplets, sanity equals schedule. The babies were on a strict schedule in the NICU. Every three hours they had their temperature taken, diaper changed and they were fed. When we brought Margaret home, it was *easy* to maintain the three hour schedule. When Isabella joined her at home, I thought I was going to lose my mind. Three hours isn't much time when it takes almost 1 full hour to get two babies to eat. By the time you're done feeding two, it's only two more hours until you have to start all over again. The pediatrician suggested that I wait until all three come home to move them to a four hour schedule, but I just couldn't wait. I immediately switched Margaret and Isabella to a four hour schedule. Luckily, they adjusted very well. When Katherine came home, she seamlessly joined her sisters on the four hour schedule. Now, after having them home for two months, I can complete the feedings in about 45 minutes to 1 hour, and they are still on the four hour schedule (except they sleep 8 hours at night).

I assume many people wonder what my days are like. Well, wait no longer - big drum roll - here it is:

Between 12am-12:30am (yes, I mean midnight) - go to bed

5:30am - Robin gets up to feed and change the girls.

between 8:30-9:30am, I get up. See, I'm very well rested! *I'm up early today because we're getting a new roof.

10am - feed, change diapers and change the girls clothes. I hate changing their clothes, so they generally just wear a onesie and a sleeper all the time. New outfits every 24 hours. Do I hear my name being called in the mother of the year nominations?!?! :-)

11am to 2pm - Do general housework and watch TV. Every couple days, I give the girls a bath at 11:30am, which takes 1 hour.

2pm - feed and change the girls

3pm - 6pm - Do general housework, have tummy time, watch TV.

6pm - Feed and change the girls

7pm - Cook dinner

10pm - Feed and change the girls. This feeding usually goes faster than the others because I add rice cereal to their bottles. I've been doing this since they were 11 weeks old, and they've been sleeping through the night since they were 12 weeks old. I brought the idea up to my pediatrician, and he encouraged it.

10:30pm-12am - Lots of computer time

Generally between feedings, the girls sleep. So, for now, I'm able to get a lot done (and stay caught up on all of my TV shows - hmmmm - can you tell that I enjoy watching TV?!?!). The witching hours are between 8pm - 10pm. All three girls usually scream and scream. I'm not sure if it's colic or just that it's so much hotter in the house at night (we do have a swamp cooler).

I plan to start on solid (ok, pureed) foods later this week or next week. First I will try rice cereal on a spoon. I'm excited to make my own baby food. Hopefully I'll have the time and energy to do it. As the girls begin to be awake more and move around more (Robin found Isabella rotated 90 degrees and Katherine rotated 180 degrees in their cribs this morning - and for all we know Margaret had done a full 360), I'll be much busier.

1 comment:

  1. You're lucky that they do have a good long sleep, and you've also have a caring husband (It's nice to know that you've handled those baby blues moments together). Yet, I survived with house assistants (which must be very difficult to have in the USA). Wishing you all the best...

    ReplyDelete