Saturday, June 26, 2010

Handedness

I'm left handed and Robin is right handed. Having grown up in Asia, Robin thinks that everyone should be right handed. I agree that we live in a world that is mostly geared toward right handed people - school desks, scissors, etc. Maybe it doesn't bother me so much because I'm fairly ambidextrous. I pretty much only use my left hand for writing, talking on the phone (good thing I didn't get the iPhone 4G) and spreading butter with a knife. Everything else I do with my right hand - bowling, shooting pool, using scissors, cutting with a knife, etc. As an aside - it's difficult to cut butter with your right hand and then spread it with your left because the butter is always on the wrong side of the knife.

Anyway - Robin thinks our girls need to be right handed to make life easier. I think it's something we're born with, but we can be taught to use the other hand. I just want to let the girls be who they are and not try to influence it.

I have recently noticed that both Katherine and Margaret chew on their right hands when they're hungry. Isabella doesn't chew on her fist very often, but when she does it's her left one. Therefore, I predict that Katherine and Margaret will be right handed and Isabella will be left handed. I have no idea if these events are related. Only time will tell (so long as Robin doesn't intervene), but I have officially made my prediction.

1 comment:

  1. Staci, you are right! Let them use their preferred hands as it would affect their creativity. Once you forced them into using the hand that is not their given nature, it will affect their brain. I once read that right handed or left handed related to the brain. But this post (http://painting.about.com/od/rightleftbrain/a/Right_Brain.htm) said that it has nothing to do with the hand preference.

    Yet, I also read that music like piano is good to train both side of our brain as we are using our left hand and right hand at the same time (without the same action). So, I believe that it has some relation anyway...Trained them to use both their hands through music, but let them choose their preferred hands to write.

    Identical twins are usually one left handed and one right handed. I was watching my twins and I saw that they have that tendencies. But they do write with their right hands. May be they got it from school, but I never forced them to do it except for taking things from others and shaking hands. Perhaps the left hand tendencies are really mild, but I saw it when he was eating, or picking something.

    Tell Robin not to worry, left handed people are also known as creative persons.

    ReplyDelete