Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Day of Firsts

Today marks the day of a few important firsts in the girls' lives. First, they are now scooting around their cribs. As I noted in my last post, Katherine did at least a 180 and Isabella did at least at 90 degree turn.

At 9:30 this morning, I went in to check on the girls before I warmed their bottles. What did I find? Margaret full on sucking her thumb. Ugh! I don't want any thumb suckers. She is the only one who really relies on her pacifier at night. On the plus side though, it already appears that she has an overbite, so I am already prepared for her to need braces. Yes, I know they are only 4 months old, and I'm already thinking about orthodontia.



This is not a first, but it does fit in with the "planning ahead theme." My girls are 4 months old, and I have already put them on a wait list for kindergarten at Cherry Creek Academy, a charter school. Here's my reasoning. First, we currently live in a terrible school district. Secondly, it's a difficult charter school to get into. Lastly, we don't live in the Cherry Creek school district, so we're on the bottom of the list for people they admit. I've heard it can take up to 3 years to get into this particular school even if you do live in the district. As I was filling out the forms, I thought about the movie Baby Boom with Diane Keaton. Here is the excerpt from the movie:

Mother 1: How about a week from Wednesday for Jr. Symphony?

Mother2: No, no, no Cole has drama on Wednesday.

Mother 1: Ben has to play the French Horn on Monday, Gymboree on Tuesday, Computer Readiness on Thursday. What about Friday? After violin, but before his shrink.

Mother 2: Perfect.

Mother 3: (Comes to the park with her son and meets up with mothers 2&3) Cosby go play in the sandbox.

Mother 2: What is wrong with you? You look awful.

Mother 3: We heard from Dalton, Cosby didn’t get in.

Mother 1 & 2: (in unison) Oh no!

Mother 3: I’m so upset, if she doesn’t get into the right preschool, she’s not going to get into the right kindergarten, if she doesn’t get into the right kindergarten, I can forget about a good prep school and any hope of an Ivy League College.

Mother 1: Honey, that is devastating.

Mother 3: I just don’t understand it. Her resume was perfect, her references were impeccable. Dennis is going to kill me.

J.C.: Excuse me, I heard you talking about preschools, and I was wondering, what age do they actually start? I forget.

Mother 1: It depends, 2 ½ or 3.

J. C.: All the good schools, are they hard to get into?

Mother 2: Ha, ha, ha, are you kidding. I had Alexis registered at the Preschool for the Performing Arts, since birth.

Mother 1: (Patting her pregnant stomach) He’s already on the waiting list for Dalton.

J.C.: So if you are not on the waiting list or something by now.

Mother 2: You can forget it honey.

Ben (Child of mother number 1) Mom

Mother 1: Hi honey.

Ben: Does the sky look like St Bay of Mercy?

Mother 1: Gee it does, oh Ben that is a terrific observation. Go play honey.

J.C: They teach Susanne in preschool.

Mother 1: No, Ben is a graduate of the center.

Mother 2: Oh, that’s an idea for you.

J.C.: The center? What’s that?

Mother 1: It’s a week long intensive training program that literally teaches you how to multiply your child’s intelligence. When we first went there, Ben could barely speak. By the time we left, he was residing the Raven.

Mother 2: What kind of classes do you have your daughter in now?

J.C.: Oh, none.

Mother 2: Not even a Mommy and me.

J.C.: No

Mother 1: Gymboree.

J.C.: No

Mother 2: Not reading readiness?

J.C.: Nothing, the child can’t even hold a cup.

Mother 2: The other babies are way ahead of her.

Mother 3: And I thought I had problems.



I can't believe I remembered this from a 1987 movie. I was only 9! I guess the idea of getting my kids into a good school was ingrained in me. Anyway....I digress.

Back to firsts - this morning I gave the girls rice cereal from a spoon for the first time. I started giving them rice cereal in their bottles several weeks ago, so the taste is not new. The spoon thing though, that's an entirely different story. Let's just say it didn't go so well. They didn't get it, but I didn't expect them to. It's all about practice says the pediatrician. So, practice we shall do! For some silly reason, I decided to give the rice cereal a try. Big mistake - I'll leave it at that.





2 comments:

  1. I have marked this blog on my browser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the only blog I read. Hearing about how the girls are doing and seeing some pictures makes my day. I am happy you decided to do this, Staci.

    Love you all,
    Grandpa Jack

    ReplyDelete