Monday, April 16, 2012

First ER Trip

We're slowing but surely getting settled into our new house.  We love it!! 
On Saturday night, we had our first trip to the ER.  Robin was shooting a wedding, so I was alone with the girls.  Right before dinner, Katie was screaming and pointing at her foot saying "ouch" and "uh-oh."  It was red and a bit swollen.  I felt it and I could feel what I thought was the bone protruding out.  I have no idea how it happened.  Life with multiples - your back is turned a lot! 

I called my mom to come over to watch the other girls and feed them dinner while I took Katie to the ER.  Here she is watching Tangled in the ER.


The ER doctor thought there was a 50/50 chance it was broken.  She would stand on it, but wouldn't bear much weight - would only walk on her heel.  By the time we got there, the little bump that I thought was the bone was much bigger.  It was actually the swelling.  They tried to give her ibuprofen, but she wouldn't swallow it.  They told me to plug her nose, but her mouth was full of water and ibuprofen.  What a bad experience for both of us.  Plugging her nose only made her try to breathe through her mouth, which was full.  She sucked in all that water and choked.  Bad nurse!

Anyway - they took three x-rays of her foot.  There was a small mark, but they didn't think it was a fracture.  Thank goodness!!!  I didn't want to deal with a cast.  They gave me the option of splinting it, but I decided it wasn't worth it.  She's still limping a bit, but it's much better.  The bruise is a lot bigger now though.  Poor girl!

These were also taken in the ER.




It was 9:30pm by the time we left the ER.  It took 2.5 hours.  Neither of us had any dinner, so we stopped at McDonald's.  Katie had her first Happy Meal that night.  As she sat in her high chair, she kept pointing to the empty high chairs saying, "Maggie....Izzie?"  So cute!!

No comments:

Post a Comment